Today, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to returning to school after having children. Many women choose to purposely put their education on hold so that they can raise a family and then return to school after their children are enrolled in school themselves.
If you find yourself in this same situation – ready to return to school after having kids – then you have probably encountered a common obstacle that many moms today are facing: where will you get the money to continue your education?
The good news is that you can check out the following list of popular scholarships for moms to explore all of the options available in funding for nontraditional students returning to school:
- TEACH Grant: This scholarship has been available since 2007 and provides $4000 per year in student grants for any student who hopes to teach in an elementary or secondary school for children from low income families; ideal for moms hoping to pursue a teaching career.
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant: This grant is available for any undergraduates who have experienced extreme financial hardship; the grant does not have to be repaid and is available between $100 and $4000 per year.
- Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity Awards: This scholarship is available for women and single mothers who are the primary breadwinners of their family.
- Denny’s Single Parent Student Scholarship: This scholarship is available to single Hispanic parents in need of funding for education.
- Women’s Independence Scholarship Program: This scholarship is for formerly battered women who require an education to gain independence, employment, and self-sufficiency; specifically for single mothers with young children who are struggling to pay for their education.
- Patsy Takemoto Mink Education Foundation: This foundation provides scholarships for low income mothers with children who require further education and training.
- Adult Students in Scholastic Transition (ASIST) Scholarship: This scholarship is worth $2500 and is awarded through 12 different chapters of Executive Women International.
- Society of Women Engineers: This SWE scholarship is available for assistance for women in accredited graduate programs to prepare for computer science and engineering careers.
- American Association of University Women: Grants, awards, scholarships, and fellowships are available for women and mothers hoping to reenter the workforce and advance their careers.
- Linda Lael Miller Scholarships: This scholarship is sponsored by the New York Times best-selling author Linda Lael Miller, especially for women hoping to use education to improve their lives.
Bonus: Campus-Based Aid – Depending on which university you are considering, federal aid programs are available through campus financial aid offices.
Bethany Ramos is a full-time freelance writer that co-owns her own e-commerce website, The Coffee Bump. The Coffee Bump specializes in a wide variety of Bunn coffee machines and assorted coffee and espresso products.