Your wedding day is one of the most special days in your life and the wedding anniversary is a reminder of the day two people’s lives were changed forever. While most people aim to make their wedding day an extravagant and beautiful celebration, often they forget that what matters equally as much in the long term, is how you celebrate your wedding anniversary. After 10, 30 or even 50 years of marriage, a couple’s wedding anniversary is a time to celebrate the union of two people who have made a lifelong commitment to each other.
With the passing of time, every couple may find it easy to fall into a routine and become complacent with grand gestures of love not seeming necessary. While it’s not essential to shower your partner with expensive gifts every single anniversary to prove your love, it is important to show each other that you mean the world to them, whether by a spectacular display of love, or by a simple yet thoughtful action.
Here are a few ways to celebrate your wedding anniversary regardless of how long you’ve been together:
- Classic celebration – This is the timeless way of celebrating your anniversary. Dinner followed by a delectable dessert, preferably something with plenty of chocolate, and of course, no celebration is complete without champagne. Celebrating in this manner is great because a fancy dinner allows the couple to get dressed up in their finest clothes, making a special effort and showing their partner they care. Gents, please wear a suit for the occasion, you can’t go wrong with mens 3 piece suit, while ladies can wear their prettiest dress. After several years of marriage, it is not uncommon for couples to not make as much of an effort with their appearance. If this is the case for you, this type of anniversary celebration will remind your partner of what you look like when you make an effort.
- A Party – when a couple has been together for several years, it’s likely they have made a circle of friends, have gotten to know each other’s family members and if there are children present, then it’s also likely that other parents are part of their social circle. An anniversary can be the perfect occasion to throw a party and bring together everyone that exists around your relationship for a grand celebration. No party is complete without cake, so cutting the anniversary cake together is another sweet gesture to look forward to.
- Simple traditions – If you did something simple for your first wedding anniversary, for example, cook a nice meal at home and watch your wedding video together, this can be a tradition that can be followed every year. The added bonus of this tradition is that when you have children, they can also partake in the celebrations, making it a great way for them to see how their parents celebrated one of the most special days of their lives. This would also be a great way to bond as a family.
- Prepare a home cooked meal – Try cooking a delicious meal at home together. Not only does this mean that you save money that would otherwise go toward a fancy meal, but more importantly, you spend quality time together as a couple preparing the meal. This bonding experience is a great way to spend an anniversary and one that every couple should partake in every once in a while. Cooking together also helps remind you of each other’s likes and dislikes in the kitchen, and while the aim is not to create a perfect dish, the effort you put into the meal will no doubt be a great way to have some fun and enjoy each others’ company. Another option is instead of cooking a meal at home, you could take a cooking class together.
- Wine tasting – This is a great activity for a couple to partake in, especially those who want to learn more about wines. For the discerning drinkers, it’s a great day spent with their partner and also allows the couple to stock up on some favorites. An added fun activity is to later buy lots of good quality cheese and have an evening of cheese, wine and crackers. Fun and romantic!
- Laid back – Our lives can get stressful when juggling a career, children, family, friends, and of course, our partners. To kick back, relax and have a super laid back anniversary, order some delicious pizza, watch your favorite movie and enjoy some quality time in each others’ company. These are the sort of activities you can only enjoy with someone you are truly comfortable with. An alternative is to pack some sandwiches and head to a park to spend a lazy day together.
- Reminisce – Recreate your first date! A great way to remember how it all began, this is a creative and romantic way to celebrate.
8. Bar at home – For the discerning drinkers among us, what more fun way to spend your anniversary than by making beautiful cocktails together. Find recipes from the 1920s (a golden age for cocktails) or the 1950s, buy all the ingredients together and just have some fun.
Anniversaries are a great way of celebrating your marriage and the memories that have been created since your wedding day, or even since the day you first met. Think of an anniversary like a joint birthday, a reminder to cherish your partner and to be thankful for the experiences that you have had together while also looking forward to many more experiences that are yet to be had. A good marriage is whatever you make it, there are no set rules, and the same applies to an anniversary. So whether it’s a simple, relaxed day or an extravagant gesture, as long as you are spending quality time with your partner, you can’t go wrong.
Nicola Reynor is a passionate blogger who loves to blog about fashion, beauty, travel, health, fitness, wedding and lifestyle trends. When in leisure time, she prefers to spend time in traveling with friends and family. Connect with her on Google+ and Twitter.