Bulger wheat, also known as broken wheat/ Dalia is a must include option in day to day life if, you are weight conscious or diabetic. Bulger wheat not only keeps you feeling full for longer, but also is a rich source of proteins, fibre, vitamin B1 and vitamin B2. A tasty recipe with low calories and takes less than 15 minutes to cook.
- Mustard seeds: ½ a teaspoon
- Asafoetida: ¼ a teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds: ½ a teaspoon
- Split Bengal gram (chana dal): 2-3 teaspoons
- Green chilis: 3 split into two.
- Ginger: An inch
- Curry leaves: 5-10
- Salt: to taste
- Split green gram(moong dal): 1 cup (Optional) ( washed and kept aside)
- Bulger wheat: 2 cups
- Water: 5 cups
Step by step procedure to make Bulger wheat porridge:
- Take a thick bottomed vessel and add 2 spoons of oil.
- To the oil, add mustard seeds, asafoetida and cook for few seconds.
- Then add cumin seeds along with split bengal gram and saute them.
- Quickly add in the curry leaves, chopped ginger and the slit green chilis. Cook till everything turns aromatic. Careful, not to burn things up!
- Now, add 5 cups of water, bring them to a boil and add salt till the water tastes little salty.
- Once the water starts bubbling, add in the split green gram and bulger wheat with a steady mix.
- Cover and cook on medium flame for 5- 10 minutes/ till the bulger gets cooked. Once cooked let the dish sit aside for 10 minutes ( Don’t worry if it sticks at the bottom, letting it sit for 10m will do the magic)
Once cooked it looks something like this.
- Serve it with curd or Gongura pickle and enjoy your healthy meal.
About the Author
Swati is a Software Engineer by profession and a wife who loves to put life in words with a little sarcasm and fun. Her blog girlgonewife.com is her passion and a platform she chose to express her interests and love for cooking, fashion and life.