Today’s young adults are finding it harder than ever to get by solely on the income from their jobs. Once the bills are paid, many 20-somethings are left with little to save for retirement, buy a home, travel, or accomplish other important goals. If you’re thinking about turning to a “side hustle” to boost your income, you couldn’t have picked a better time. Today, there are plenty of options for making extra cash. Here are some of the top side hustles to help you achieve your dreams.
Get in on the Sharing Economy
Image via Flickr by meliesthebunny
If you’ve got a talent or resource that other people can use, start getting paid for it. The sharing economy makes it easy to bring in additional income on a schedule that works for you. Plus, there are so many services you could work for that just about anyone can find a great fit. Here are a few popular sharing economy side gigs:
- Airbnb: Rent out your whole place while you’re away, or simply rent a spare room for travelers who come and go.
- Uber and Lyft: Have a car? Make money by giving others a ride through these services.
- DogVacay and Rover: Provide dogsitting services for people in your city or town. Pet owners bring their dogs to you so you can take care of them while they’re away.
- Instacart: Go grocery shopping for someone else, then drop their purchases off at their home.
- TaskRabbit: Run errands or provide a helping hand. Tasks could include anything from yard work to putting together IKEA furniture.
Start Your Own Business
Building your own business from the ground up sounds pretty intimidating, especially if you’re just looking for a side gig. That’s why it’s smart to partner with a company that specializes in helping individuals earn extra money on the side.
For example, Amway has great entrepreneurship training that helps individuals set up their own business selling high-quality beauty, nutrition, and home products. There are low start-up costs, and you can build your business at your own pace. Because Amway guides you through it with resources, training, and business mentors, it’s much easier than trying to go it alone. Choose a company like Amway with a long history of helping people increase their income.
Teach What You Know
Odds are, you’ve gained some wisdom in your 20-something years of life. Share it with others by teaching as a side hustle. Help kids in school by becoming a tutor; you can do it in person or even tutor someone over Skype. Choose a subject you always excelled in and advertise your services to find some clients.
If you’re looking to teach a certain skill, like graphic design, you can create an online course on a site like Teachable, Skillshare, or Udemy. This allows you to use streamlined technology to attract more students and helps you earn passive income once a course has been created.
If you have a creative streak, there are plenty of ways to use it to make some additional cash. Here are some of the many ways you can create something and get paid for it:
- Write an e-book: Your book can be about anything, whether it’s a memoir, a novel, a self-help book, or a how-to guide.
- Sell on Etsy: Etsy is the perfect place to sell if you like to create physical items, such as artwork, crafts, home décor, or clothing.
- Start a podcast: Choose a subject that interests you and start your own podcast. If you gain a sizable audience, you’ll be able to find companies who will pay to advertise on your podcast.
- Design something cool: If you’re a great designer, check out websites like Society6 and CafePress that allow you to put your digital design on all kinds of items, including hats, shirts, mugs, and more.
It’s tough out there for those who are trying to make a living in their 20s and 30s, but with these side hustles, you can give your income a boost and start living the life you’ve dreamed of.