There’s nothing worse than needing to upgrade your home but knowing that you don’t have the budget for any major changes. Sure, you can’t rip out the bathroom and start again, and you can’t add an extension to your home but you CAN upcycle what you’ve got! There is so much to be said for taking what you have to make something better and newer out of it, and you’ll save a ton of money, too.
Upcycling your furniture is a smart way to take the things that are looking tired and used and making them look brand new all over again. There are so many ways that you can upcycle furniture and make it functional again. Breathing some life into your things will create a very real sense of achievement in your world and it;s going to make your home look transformed when you do it. So, can you really afford NOT to upcycle? We don’t think so! Let’s take a look at a few great tips that will make upcycling easy for you.
- Decide What To Upcycle. The first thing that you have to do is choose what you want to upcycle first. Whether you want to have clear wood finishes on your tables and chair legs, or you want to choose the sofa for reupholstery. Make sure that you know your “why” behind choosing a particular piece of furniture. The last thing that you want to do is to start and hate what you’re doing! Perhaps you want to upcycle a piece of second hand furniture that you found? Either way, make sure that whatever you start, you finish!
- Choose Your Look. Do you want to tie-dye the fabric and add it to the sofa cushions or are you loving the whole “distressed” look? No matter what you like, pick the look you want and make sure that it suits the rest of your decor. The distressed look doesn’t have to be hard, especially with videos like this one.
- A Lick Of Paint. Sometimes, the only upcycle your furniture needs is to be sanded down and painted over. Brightening up a room is so easy when you choose a bright color to offset any dull colors in the home. Wooden furniture can wear easily, and paint can change the whole look of a furniture piece! Don’t play it safe, though. You can change the way furniture looks by adding more than one color and allowing it to stand out a little more.
- Consider Stencils. If you’d rather upcycle the room rather than the furniture, why not think about stencils and change the way the walls look? You can get very creative with both large and small stencils and you can choose to make a border, or you can have big stencils that add artwork. Upcycling the walls can be just as fun as the furniture!
- Upholster The Soft Furnishings. Armchairs and couches are in need of a serious overhaul in some cases, and you can do it with different colors and different fabrics. If you have old curtains and even old bedsheets around the house, you can transform a chair or a couch in no time at all.