Whether you live in a tiny apartment or a sprawling villa, closet organization will always bother you. Limited spaces in particular, pose greater issues at hand because we tend to hoard up more stuff than we can throw away. And this is how, we run out of places to store them.
Therefore, being a wee bit organized not only helps you find your everyday essentials easily and quickly, but also stops you from buying things that you already have in your closet.
If you can relate to this, then gear up and organize your closet with some clever hacks and designs. Go through the following pointers and explore the myriad possibilities.
1. Clear the clutter: First things first. Clear all the clutter in your closet. Start by emptying the closet completely and creating separate piles of clothes, accessories, jewelry, shoes and cosmetics on the floor.
Vacuum the closet and place mothballs and odor-eliminators to get rid of all the smell while you work your way through the piles and create sub-piles of your belongings such as:
- Pile 1: If you haven’t worn it in the past 2 years or if it doesn’t fit anymore. Donate these to charity or sell them off.
- Pile 2: You have similar stuff and you’ll not need it any more. Donate it to charity or sell them off.
- Pile 3: It is completely damaged and can’t be worn. Throw them in trash or recycle them.
- Pile 4: It is outdated. Donate these to charity or sell them off.
Do this exercise every six months and you’ll have always have extra space in your wardrobe.
2. Organize your clothes: Fold your clothes or hang them neatly and you’ll be able to organize your closet in the most amazing way ever.
- Organize by season – You know that you are never going to need that overcoat in the sweltering summer heat or your favorite tank top in freezing temperatures. So, why let off-season clothes and shoes hog all the space in your closet? Make room by storing them according to the current season. For instance, you can store your summer outfits in the closet and keep all your winter wear neatly folded away in luggage bags or boxes.
- Organize by colors and prints – Color coding your clothes is a fun way to organize your closet. You can always settle for the classic ‘VIBGYOR’ and arrange your clothes and accessories according to the colors of the rainbow. You can also organize them according to prints, which include but are not limited to stripes, florals, plains, quirky prints, animal prints, geometric patterns etc.
- Organize by ‘Like’ items – Isn’t it frustrating when you want to quickly pack for a business meeting or an impromptu vacation in another city and have to pack within hours? I don’t think so; not when you have organized your clothes and other stuff according to their ‘types’. Stack blazers and formal shirts together and do the same with formal pants. You can also create sets of the same to save time. Similarly, you can store similar types of dresses, casual t-shirts and shoes for quick access.
3. Use the same type of hangers: Make it a point to use hangers of the same make and model so that everything that you hang, appears uniform. For instance, Cedar hangers lend a chic appearance to any closet and you can use them to hang your clothes and accessories. Also, buying new hangers and using them will give your closet a new look and feel. Because they often last-long, consider the expense as an investment.
4. Use a tie rack and drawer organizer: Losing ties and socks is the bane of our lives. Say no to losing them by installing tie-racks or having drawer organizer in your closet. You’ll be astonished by the level of difference that a tie rack and drawer organizer brings to the table. Alternatively, you can also use them to store lingerie.
DIY Tip: You can use drawer handles to create amazing DIY tie racks. These can also be used to store your scarves and prevent them from creases and wrinkles. You can also use them to store your belts.
5. Store jewelry like a pro: If you are a jewelry junkie and have tons of earrings, necklaces, pendants, bracelets, bangles and the likes, you’d benefit from the following hacks:
- Use ice cube trays to store your earrings and never lose a pair again!
- Attach tiny hooks to picture frames for your accessories.
- Attack hooks or nails or doorknobs to your cupboard door for necklaces and chains.
- Frame a mesh, paint it and use it to store earrings.
- A cooling rack and some hooks will create the perfect jewelry organizer in your cupboard.
6. Recycle common household items: Did you know that you can come up with some genius storage solutions by using common household items? Here are some of the ideas that will get you started.
- Store hand towels and scarves in PVC pipes, cut and fit in your drawers.
- Attach shower curtain rings to a hanger and hang scarves or belts.
- Use a shoe rack to store all your cosmetics and free up space.
- Shoe boxes and wicker or plastic baskets can be quite handy to store smaller items such as socks.
7. Store shoes efficiently: Use the space at the bottom of the closet to hang the shoes using hangers. Alternatively, you can use hanging racks for the same purpose. Also, you can use pool noodles to keep your boots in the best shape.
These are some of the best hacks that will give help you organize your closet and give it a complete makeover. So, what are you waiting for? Start right away and work your way to a neat, organized closet and be extremely proud of it!