A Guide To Making New Period Windows
Posted On 17 Apr 2019
Tag: Home & Garden, Windows
Windows are well known as the eyes of the house and authentic style windows or period windows are eye-catchy and they play an important role in defining the character of period homes. But there are many things that you must consider before taking a decision of either replacing or repairing the windows. This article is a short guide that will help you choose the best period windows for your period home.
- Repair or replace: First question while renovating the house that comes in our mind is whether we should repair our old windows or replace them. The important thing here to know is that original windows were made using traditional techniques and high quality that is hard to imitate today. Therefore, if you can preserve and maintain the original windows, it will be a better choice. However, if they are too rotten beyond repair then replacing them with a new one is a good idea.
- Cost factor: Cost may vary depending on the number of windows, style, and other elements. You should know that windows are priced individually, you can buy separate or place bulk order of the windows. They are handcrafted and increases the price. Therefore, consider the cost factor before investing in it.
- How to upgrade existing windows: Before replacing the windows, look at the measures to repair and upgrade them. If wood of the windows is in a reasonably good condition, you can repair them by making some changes like replacing panes, repairing fittings, adding new frames or painting them afresh. This will entirely depend on the present condition of your window.
- Different styles to choose from: Some of the period windows styles you can choose from are as follows:
- Side-hung casements
- Vertical sliding timber sashes
- Sash windows with eight-over-eight or six-over-six pane configurations
- Sash windows with two-over-two or one-over-one
- Multiple panes widows in the upper sash or a large pane in the bottom half
- Bay windows
- Side sliding sash windows
- Casement windows continued
- Steel Crittal-style windows were widely used
- Material for period windows: Material plays an important role not only in the quality of the structure but also in the style and appearance of the window. The material you must select for the period windows is either timber with Hardwood frames or chemically improved softwood, you can select metals like Steel, bronze, and aluminium.
- Designing the windows: To design your windows, you should study nearby properties to ensure the style of window in harmony with the surroundings of your property. You must know that proportion glazing bars, the glass, and everything contributes to the character and overall appearance of a window and the home. Therefore, all components must be addressed when you decide to replace the window, you must also consider the right timbers, colors, and decorative options.
- Permissions, regulations, and restrictions: Replacing period windows with replicas will not require permission, but if the development rights are restricted, you will need the permission of the local authorities. In conservation areas, planners can be very particular about the new replacements. Thus, you must follow their guidelines. In many places to gain permission to replace any listed windows, homeowners must prove that the existing ones are beyond repair. The company making and installing new windows must be registered with local authorities in many places. Safety glass is mandatory in windows near floor level along with the relevant safety mark clearly visible.
If you will follow these simple guidelines, you will not face any issues. No matter what, if you will decide on replacement and repair, then you will create a stunning period window for your period home.