Social media is a platform all businesses need to use in the current day and age. However, it is even more important that you use it correctly. We have seen it time and time before; social media blunders that make headline news and damage a company’s reputation. Some of them are blatantly obvious errors, such as derogatory comments or speaking to a customer in a rude manner. Others aren’t so evident. With that in mind, read on to discover the things you should never do on social media.
- Stagnate – This is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. Digital trends come and go quickly and social media is constantly evolving, and you need to evolve with it. Your social media strategy needs constant attention. Don’t use the same old methods time and time again. They will eventually lose their worth. Instead, you need to innovate, and you need to give your social media constant attention.
- Discuss legal matters – One thing you should never do is discuss legal matters over social media. If you are involved in any type of business litigation dispute, the best thing you can do is keep your mouth closed, or should we say your keyboard. It can be very tempting to have slight digs or to hint that someone has done you wrong, but it will only come back to haunt you. Plus, it could throw the case into complete chaos!
- Complain about your customers – Leading on from the former point, never air any type of grievances over social media, especially about your customers. This is online reputation management suicide. Customers can cause frustration for any business, no matter how good your service is. However, you should never vent about them. This will only make your business look bad, and customers won’t want to do business with you. If someone has something negative to say about your company, don’t try to fight them.
- Don’t constantly promote yourself – Don’t use social media as a platform to post endless promotional tweets or comments. People will get bored. Social media is all about portraying the personality of your business and getting close to your customers to build loyal relationships. No one wants to be sold to all of the time.
- Lie – Marketing involves emphasizing the positive features of your business, service, or product, without going into fine detail. It does not involve lying. The most beneficial thing you can do for your business is building a foundation of trust with your customers.
- Delete negative reviews or comments – It can be very tempting to simply delete any negative comments about your business. Surely this is the easiest way to maintain a positive brand image, right? Wrong! If you delete these posts, you will appear shady. You can rest assured that the users that commented will let people know you are trying to silence them.
Be offensive – Let’s end with one of the most obvious things you shouldn’t do, yet a point that definitely needs reiterating: don’t write anything offensive. Nothing can make your brand image and online presence turn sour quicker than writing an offensive comment on social media.