Ah, braces. The bane of the teenager but the wish of the adult. No teenager – in the throes of insecurity and self doubt – likes having to wear braces. Adults, however, have different priorities. They know that braces aren’t something to judge and so they don’t; they get them fitted or they choose the invisible ones to get their teeth straightened for aesthetic and comfort purposes. The thing is, some grown adults still don’t feel confident when they’re wearing braces. And they should!
When you need braces, it’s because you have a dental issue that needs a helping hand. You need to be able to feel confident after the fact, but while you’re wearing braces, you should feel as confident as possible. It’s normal to feel upset by your new braces, but it’s so important that you know you’re not alone. Your dental health matters, and whether you are trying to learn all about eating with braces or you are trying to learn how to keep them clean, the most important thing to learn is how to feel confident while you wear them. Taking the time to learn more confidence while you wear your braces will get you through your treatment. Here’s how you can feel confident while you get your teeth straightened.
- Think about your choices. You know why you’re getting braces, and you know what they’re for, so concentrate on that rather than the stigma that might come with them. You don’t have to go through your orthodontist to get them tightened if you prefer to have the invisible type of braces, either. Keep your eyes on the prize; it’s worth it in the end.
- Keep your braces clean. Eating with braces is one of the hardest things to do because of the gaps and metals you might be dealing with. No matter the form of braces you end up with, you need to keep them clean to prevent your teeth from dealing with the fall out later on.
- Watch your diet. Did you know that there are some braces that can stain based on what you eat? Colorful foods can stain aligners where harder foods can break the metal ones. You have to watch yourself – you can’t eat apples whole, or toffees that stick. You have to choose foods that are manageable with braces on your teeth.
- Don’t think too hard about it. It’s so easy to psych yourself out over your braces and if you have braces as an adult, this psyching out can lead to you feeling less confident about yourself. The time will go by with the braces quickly, but if you constantly rely on how bad you feel about them, it’ll drag.
- Fake it! Sometimes the best thing to do with something you’re uncomfortable with is fake it til you make it. You can feel far more confident in your braces when you pretend for a while. Let the world see it doesn’t bother you, and they won’t react to you as if they do bother you!