The importance of liquid flow meters in any setting cannot be gainsaid. They are essential in measuring displacement or bulk movement of any type of liquid or gas in different types of applications. Through such measurement and control, it becomes easier for users to curb wastage by monitoring the flow of liquids through their applications.
If you are shopping for a flow meter for your industrial facility, residential property or any other application, you must have come across different models in the market. Among these are differential pressure and positive displacement flow meters.
A Brief Overview of Electromagnetic Flow Meters
Electromagnetic flow meters are increasingly becoming a popular alternative for various reasons. These devices are also referred to as mag flow meters or electro mags and they are becoming more common in all types of applications including residential and industrial settings.
This type of flow meter relies on 2 in-built electrodes which provide the fluid velocity of the flowing fluid. While this operation might sound complex, this is considered one of the easiest flow meters in the market.
Advantages of Electromagnetic Flow Meters
While different mag meters have unique features, there are those advantages that are uniform among all electromagnetic flow meters. Take a look:
- Enhanced accuracy – This is the most outstanding benefit of these devices against all other flow meters in the market.
- Effectiveness – This flow meter measures displacement of liquids even in corrosive conditions. Readings are not affected by changes in viscosity or density. This flow meter can also be used to measure flow rates for combustibles or explosives.
- Low cost – This is among the cheapest flow meters in the market today. Their power requirement is low, which makes them energy-efficient. They are not prone to wear and tear whatever the environment.
- Versatility – These devices can measure liquids with both high and low flow rates. Better still, they can measure liquids in multiple directions both upstream and downstream.
There are different types of electromagnetic flow meters to choose form including:
- Energy/BTU Magnetic flow meter
- Battery Powered Magnetic flow meter
- High Pressured Magnetic flow meter
- General Purpose Magnetic flow meter
- Insertion Magnetic flow meter
Determining Electrical Conductivity in the Liquid
Each of these flow meters has its own unique features that make it suitable for use in specific settings. However, one thing that you must consider when shopping for an electromagnetic flow meter is whether the liquid you intend to measure is electrically conductive. This device works best with electrically conductive liquids and for this reason, the smart measurement flow meter conductive comes in handy.
It is not always possible to know the electrical conductivities in the liquid you want to use and with this flow meter, you will find it easier to know whether a mag meter is for you or not. Many consumers have bought these devices based on the wide ranging benefits only to realize the liquids they are measuring have to be electrically conductive.
The listed liquids are indicated as RED (not suitable for mag meters), GREEN (suitable for mag meter) and YELLOW (not very clear). With this guide, it is now possible to know whether an electromagnetic flow meter is ideal for your application or not.
Scott Hill is an engineering consultant based in Chicago. He reviews industry products such as the smart measurement flow meter conductive among others. He also runs a successful engineering shop in the city.